About 6 months ago, I ran into someone I knew and was amazed by her hair transformation. Whereas before her hair was frazzled because of constant heat styling, her hair was shiny and lustrous.
Obviously I asked her what her secret was. And I’m about to share it with you now: she said that every time she washed her hair, she applied coconut oil 10 minutes before and then style as usual. And that’s it.
I loved the simplicity and started to do it. I got good results, but I wanted great results. So I tweaked and perfected my routine. Here’s what I do:
Get ready for beautiful hair
- Grab yourself some organic coconut oil (I got mine from Dis Chem here).
- Heat it up. Regardless of the season, the heat opens up the cuticles and allows the oil to penetrate better.
- Douse your hair in the oil, making sure to get all the hair covered but don’t go higher than midway. You don’t need to apply it to your roots, as roots are naturally oiler and healthier.
- Tie your hair up, or pop a shower cap on, and leave it for as long as you can. The longer you leave the coconut oil on, the more it will condition your hair.
- When you wash your hair, start by washing your ends first and then rinse. Then shampoo as normal, making sure to give those ends another wash.
- Blow dry and style as normal, and your hair should be left looking gorgeous!
Remember, beautiful hair takes work. So try do this every time you wash – especially if your hair is on the damaged/weak side. I do it every time I wash my hair, and my hair is really shiny and looks très healthy.
Why coconut oil?
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that nourish and moisturise the hair. Coconut oil’s structure allows it to penetrate hair in ways that other oils are not able to, which is why you’ll notice almost instant results. It’s especially useful on damaged hair because it helps protect the hair shaft from becoming waterlogged, which can create further damage. It also increases shine and prevents frizz.
This is a beauty hack that I’m so happy I came across. I hope it’s helpful for you! Here’s to healthy, happy, shiny hair.