When Lancôme launched its now-iconic Juicy Tubes as a teenager, I desperately wanted to get my hands on one. When I eventually did, I chose the deliciously scented watermelon one, and then hardly ever used it (because I wanted to preserve it). In fact, I still have it and it STILL smells like juicy watermelon.
Now that I’m in my 30’s I tend to prefer matte over high gloss finishes. I do like a good gloss now and again, but say no to tacky and glitter-packed, sparkly glosses.
As a nod to their heritage and a toast to next generation lip products, Lancome have launched the fun and impossibly cute, chic Juicy Shaker. These vibrant oil treatments are inspired by a combination of the much loved Juicy Tubes and one of the brand’s products from 1946, The Shaker. The Shaker was a lipstick that featured a martini-shaker-shaped silhouette – the 1940’s was a time period when cocktails were killer-diller (a phrase from the 1940’s meaning ‘good stuff’).
Like the Shaker, the Juicy Shaker’s silhouette resembles a martini shaker. Unlike The Shaker, the Juicy Shakers are designed to require a little shake as the name implies. Shaking blends the pigments with conditioning oils before application, for a finish that’s sheer, dewy and non-goopy.
WHAT IS IT EXACTLY?
It’s a bi-phase lip oil that combines the comfort of nourishing oils with the revitalizing power of colour pigments. Just shake the Juicy Shaker like a cocktail shaker to mix the pigments and oil and then apply using the pillowy-soft cushion applicator for a delicious shot of colour with a hint of shine. The cocktail blend of 5 nourishing oils treats your lips like a lip balm. Peach kernel oil softens lips while Sweet Almond oil conditions and Cranberry oil provides rich anti-oxidant properties. Muscat Rose oil is rich in essential fatty acids and helps to soothe lips.
After I received Berry in Love and Walk the Lime I was completely captured by the packaging and excited by the idea of the product. After I tried them, I was a bit deflated. The reason for this is that I wanted more colour payoff, a longer lasting lip product and, now that I think about it, was unsure about using shiny gloss on my lips as opposed to more matte products. Fast forward 2 weeks and I love them! Like love. Why? Because I understand they they’re the older and more sophisticated cousin of the Juicy Tube and that they are in fact lip oils. A lip oil will never be long-lasting but is nourishing and hydrating (a long-lasting lip product is usually drying). I love them because they’re undeniably ultra-modern, they look delightful and smell so yummy. They make your lips look juicy!
What I love
• The oil is super moisturising and it comes off really quickly. Even though this would usually irk me, when the oil rubs off, my lips are still left with a gorgeous berry pink stain AND I get to reapply!!! I think I’m addicted. And I think that’s the point.
• They are perfect for applying on the go.
• They are just so fabulously fun!
• Each Juicy Shaker has it’s own unique scent, each one as delicious as the next.
• I love the moisture and lack of heaviness on my lips.
• The sponge applicator is so soft and luxe and cool and fun all at the same time and is an absolute pleasure to use.
• You can create your very own cocktail and apply your favourite Juicy Shaker over any lipstick or lip pencil that you usually wear – I LOVE mixing Berry in Love with NYX’s Merengue for a soft, kissable, perfect pink pout.
Take a look at how fun the ad campaign is and how gorgeously vibrant and beautiful the campaign images are…
Juicy Shakers come in 20 colours, but in SA we’ll only be getting 8 of them. Available at Lancôme counters for R270. Go out and experience them! You’ll be glad you did.